Easy to prepare Mediterranean food: Black “Venere” rice with zucchini and shrimps. This recipe needs only few ingredients and doesn’t take long to cook at all if you find parboiled Venere rice and possibly already de-shelled and cleaned shrimps! What does take a little bit of patience is exactly the cleaning of the shrimps; it’s the same every time you cook with shrimps… but, anyway, the result is a nice-to-have-ready balanced meal with a Mediterranean taste! In summer this same meal may be enjoyed cold in the sun on your terrace!
Photo copyright and original recipe (in Italian) GialloZafferano. Thanks guys!
- Boil enough water for your rice. Once it boils, salt the water and add the rice. Cook for the time stated on your package, 18 min in our case because we got the praboiled version.
- In the meantime use a vegetable grater with large round wholes to grate the zucchini.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan, add the whole garlic (remove skin). Once hot, add the grated zucchini, taste with some salt and pepper and gently cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the garlic and set zucchini aside.
- Remove shell, legs, tail and digestive tract of your shrimps. This step will probably take some patience!
- Cut shrimps in half and put them in a bowl. Add some olive oil, zest the lemons directly over the shrimps and add some salt and pepper. Optionally also add some tabasco and dill. Finally stir.
- Add shrimps to a hot pan and cook until they change color, i.e. from black to red. Remove from heat.
- Put the rice, which should be done by now, zucchini and shrimps in a bowl and mix. Try it and taste again with salt, pepper, tabasco and dill as needed. For a more fancy option, only mix the rice and the zucchini and add the shrimps on top in the end when already plated.
- Buon appetito!
- 80g Venere rice (parboiled)
- 80g zucchini
- 70g shrimps
- 0.2 lemon zest and juice
- 2g olive oil
- 0.3 garlic
- 0.2 tsp salt
- 0.2 tsp pepper
- 0.1 tsp tabasco (optional)
- 0.1 tsp dill (optional)
Ingredients are stated per portion. This makes it easy to import the recipe to myfitnesspal in case you track your macros like we do!